At LaSalle, we are committed to improving our climate and culture through explicit social emotional learning. Our students must learn the critical skills of self-awareness, self-management, responsible decision-making, relationship skills and social awareness if they are going to succeed in a highly collaborative world. We commit to ensuring students treat themselves and others with respect and reclaim their right to an education!
LaSalle staff is excited to implement the Second Step curriculum for social emotional learning.
Second Step is a well-researched SEL program. With the help of teachers, counselors, and educators, the Second Step program is building a strong foundation for a new generation of socially and emotionally savvy children. Through the program, Early Learning–Grade 8 students gain the skills and know-how to be kind, caring, and responsible members of society. Today students learn to solve problems on the playground; tomorrow they’ll manage conflicts in the workplace and everyday life.
Why do we believe SEL is so critical to student success? The benefits are well documented:
* In a meta-analysis of 213 school-based SEL programs, participants demonstrated significantly improved social and emotional skills, attitudes, and behavior, as well as an 11-percentile-point gain in academic performance.
* Children who are socially and emotionally competent have more friends and more connections with positive peers, and are less likely to be rejected, isolated, or bullied. Children with friends are happier and more successful in school.
* Empathic children with good perspective-taking skills are less likely to be physically, verbally, or indirectly aggressive toward peers.
* Children’s social relations affect their feeling of connectedness at school, which affects their sense of academic competence.
* The social-emotional competence of students is an important component of effective bullying prevention.
Second Step at LaSalle
Second Step will be implemented by homeroom teachers, starting next week. The program includes a weekly lesson, delivered on Mondays, and a brief follow-up review delivered on all other days of the week by homeroom teachers, world language teachers and essentials teachers in their classrooms. All of our staff will be trained by the SEL department of CPS on Friday and will begin implementing the program ASAP.
In grades K-5, units include: Skills for Learning, Empathy, Emotion Management and Problem Solving.
In grades 6-8, units include: Mindsets & Goals, Values & Friendships, Thoughts, Emotions & Decisions, and Serious Peer Conflicts.
The program also includes a Home Links connection. Please expect to receive a parent letter each week describing what students have worked on that week, along with an easy-to-follow activity you can use at home to reinforce what we learn in school!!
Thank you for your support!!
Copyright © 2018 LaSalle Language Academy, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you are a member of the LaSalle Language Academy community.
Our mailing address is:
LaSalle Language Academy
1734 North Orleans
Chicago, IL 60614
Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can ** update your preferences (https://lasallechicago.us11.list-manage.com/profile?u=e0cf1997307e43043b...)
or ** unsubscribe from this list (https://lasallechicago.us11.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=e0cf1997307e43...)